MTN Job Posting
Minneapolis Telecommunications Network, Inc. (MTN)
The Minneapolis Telecommunications Network (MTN) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation that operates public access television in the City of Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are inviting applications for the full time position of Executive Director.
MTN serves the residents of Minneapolis with tools, programs, and activities to engage and connect diverse residents and institutions through the exchange of ideas, stories, and information. In this way MTN strives to build a vibrant democracy in which all share social, cultural, and economic vitality.
MTN programs three channels 16,17,75 on the Comcast Cable system in Minneapolis. MTN provides Public Access services to approximately 74,000 subscribers, in a community of 377,000+ people. The facility is in a mixed use, leased space consisting of 6,000 square feet. MTN was incorporated in 1983. MTN presently employs 4 full-time and 7 part-time employees.
The Executive Director’s key responsibilities include operations, planning, outreach, and development. This person must lead and inspire others, manage a team effectively, encourage membership growth, and encourage members to produce diverse, quality programming. The Executive Director must be an energetic, self-directed, and engaging leader with a passion for MTN’S mission who will promote recognition of MTN’S value to the community.
- Report to the Board of Directors that are appointed by the Mayor and City Council.
- The ability to maintain a positive working relationship with the City of Minneapolis’ Communications Department, the City Council, and the office of the Mayor.
- Ensure that MTN complies with the terms of its contract with the City of Minneapolis and submit in a timely fashion: annual budget, quarterly reports, and any other reports as deemed necessary by the City.
- Develop fundraising projects, underwriting, grants, and other funding sources.
- Create and carry out community outreach programs to promote the use of the channel(s).
- Develop and implement marketing strategies for MTN. Generate and implement goals, budgets, policies and procedures Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement long-range strategic plans.
- Be the primary spokesperson for the station.
- Maintain a working relationship with representatives of school districts and higher educational institutions in service area, and with civic institutions and community leaders in the area.
- Oversee administrative, financial and personnel matters.
- Carry out policies and programs established by the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, television or related field and extensive experience in work with a Board of Directors; Advanced degree a plus.
- Minimum 3 years successful managerial and supervisory experience and/or administrative experience in the PEG Access field, or in related areas such as community media, public administration, arts, etc.
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as excellent public speaking skills for both formal and extemporaneous presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to outreach and work with diverse groups and individuals with differing ideas and opinions; cross-cultural competence and a demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Demonstrated ability in fund-raising, community outreach, and volunteer management.
- Ability to work independently and foster teamwork.
- Must be willing to work occasional evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Computer, internet, and related technology skills required.
- Strong demonstrable experience in Human Resources principles and practices.
- Knowledge of field and studio video production. Experience in working effectively with a volunteer Board of Directors.
- Foreign language skills a plus.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience along with benefits package including health, dental and retirement plan.
- MTN is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Application deadline March 5, 2012.
- Please submit resume and cover letter by email only to: Kevin AT mtn.org